What's in a Name? Categories of D-Lib Content Defined
The Fifth Blackbird: Some Thoughts on Economically Sustainable Digital Preservation
Brian F. Lavoie, OCLC Online Computer Library Center
Rethinking Personal Digital Archiving, Part 1: Four Challenges from the Field
Catherine C. Marshall, Microsoft Research
Rethinking Personal Digital Archiving, Part 2: Implications for Services, Applications, and Institutions
Catherine C. Marshall, Microsoft Research
Detail from Kinrai ryūkō kabuki uwasa Kenbutsu no hara ("Internal bodily
functions dramatized by popular kabuki actors"), late 19th century.
Courtesy of the East Asian Collection, Library and Center for Knowledge
Management, University of California, San Francisco.
Used with permission.
This month D-Lib's featured collection is the UCSF Japanese Woodblock Print Collection.
Site Design Impact on Robots: An Examination of Search Engine Crawler Behavior at Deep and Wide Websites
Joan A. Smith and Michael L. Nelson, Old Dominion University
The Australian METS Profile - A Journey about Metadata
Judith Pearce, David Pearson, Megan Williams and Scott Yeadon, National Library of Australia
Using Open Source Social Software as Digital Library Interface
Erik Mitchell and Kevin Gilbertson, Wake Forest University
UCSF Japanese Woodblock Print Collection
Lisa A. Mix, University of California, San Francisco
LIS Editors Launch Effort to Develop Best Practices for LIS Journals
Joseph J. Branin, Ohio State University; and Charles B. Lowry, University of Maryland
Carolina Digital Library and Archives, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Judith M. Panitch, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Help us make HILT's terminology services useful in your information service
Dennis Nicholson, Strathclyde University
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
Point to Point
- Digital Resources for the Humanities and Arts 2008, 14 - 17 September 2008, Cambridge, United Kingdom. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 30 April 2008.
- International Conference on Soft Computing as Transdisciplinary Science and Technology (CSTST'08), 26 - 30 October 2008, Paris, France. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 June 2008 (for tutorials and workshops: 30 April 2008).
- Tenth International Conference on Grey Literature, 8 - 9 December 2008, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 1 May 2008.
- The Cross-Language Evaluation Forum (CLEF 2008), Details. Call for participation. The registration form must be completed and returned no later than 1 May 2008.
- Second International Symposium on Information Interaction in Context (IIiX), 14 - 17 October 2008, London, United Kingdom. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 May 2008.
- CaSTA 2008 New Directions in Text Analysis, 16 - 18 October 2008, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. Call for submissions for 'Digitizing Early Material Culture: from Antiquity to
Modernity'. The deadline for proposal submissions is 15 May 2008.
- CIKM 2008 - ACM 17th Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, 26 - 30 October 2008, Napa, California, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 27 May 2008.
- The Second Digital Preservation Challenge, DigitalPreservationEurope (DPE). Sponsored in part by XEROX. The submission deadline is 30 May 2008.
- 5th International Conference on Knowledge Management (ICKM2008), 23 - 24 October 2008, Columbus, Ohio, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 30 May 2008.
- ECDL Doctoral Consortium, (held in conjunction with the European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries (ECDL)), 14 September 2008, Aarhus, Denmark. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 June 2008.
- VSMM 2008: Digital Heritage: Our Hi-tech-story for the Future, 20 - 26 October 2008, Limassol, Cyprus. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 2 June 2008.
- The 1st ISPIM Symposium - Managing Innovation in a Connected World, 15 - 17 December 2008, Singapore. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 30 June 2008.
- International Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility, 21 - 22 April 2008, Beijing, China
- Fourth Nordic Conference on Scholarly Communication NCSC 2008, 21 - 23 April 2008, Lund, Sweden
- 29th annual IATUL Conference (digital discovery:
strategies & solutions), 21 - 24 April 2008, Auckland, New Zealand
- 17th International World Wide Web Conference, 21 - 25 April 2008, St Paul, Minnesota, USA
- Understanding Web Evolution: A Prerequisite for Web Science, (Web Science Workshop held in conjunction with WWW2008), 22 April 2008, Beijing, China
- The 9th Annual Knowledge Management Conference & Exhibition, 28 - 29 April 2008, Washington, DC, USA
- The JA-SIG Spring Conference: Higher Education Solutions: The Community Source Way, 28 - 30 April 2008, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
- Fundraising, a KDCS training course, 29 April 2008, London, United Kingdom
- Sustaining digital projects: Funding the future, a KDCS training course, 30 April 2008, London, United Kingdom
- Security Professionals Conference Annual Meeting 2008, 4 - 6 May 2008, Arlington, Virginia, USA
- 4th International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies (WEBIST), 4 - 7 May, 2008, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
- Policy 2008: the EDUCAUSE Policy Conference, 7 - 8 May 2008, Arlington, Virginia, USA
- Libraries and Librarianship: Past, Present and Future, 11 - 24 May 2008, Oxford, United Kingdom
- European Web Archive Web Archiving Training Session, 12 - 13 May 2007, Paris, France
- TAPE workshop on the curation and preservation of audiovisual collections, 12 - 16 May 2008, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- 9th International Digital Government Research Conference (dg.o 2008), 18 - 21 May 2008, Montréal, Canada
- Hypertext 2008, 19 - 21 June 2008, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- CMMR 2008 - Genesis of Meaning in Sound and Music, 19 - 23 May 2008, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Digital preservation, a KDCS training course, 20 May 2008, London, United Kingdom
- Canadian Library Association Annual Conference and Trade Show: Libraries & Publishing 3.0:
connecting authors to readers in the digital age, 21 - 24 May 2008, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Digital Humanities Summer Institute, 26 - 30 May 2008, Victoria, British Columbia, Cananda
- 8th Annual Intellectual Property Symposium, 28 - 30 May 2008, Adelphi, Maryland, USA
- INFORUM 2008: 14th Conference on Professional Information Resources, 28 - 30 May 2008, Prague, Czech Republic
- Semantic Search 2008 Workshop, (Held in conjunction with the 5th European Semantic Web Conference ESWC2008), 1 June 2008, Tenerife, Spain
- 5th European Semantic Web Conference, 1 - 5 June 2008, Tenerife, Spain
- Libraries in the Digital
Age (LIDA) 2 - 7 June 2008, Dubrovnik and Mljet, Croatia
- International Symposium on Electronic Theses and Dissertations, ETD 2008, 4 - 7 June 2008, Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Twenty-Third Annual NASIG Conference, 5 - 8 June 2008, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
- Digitising and delivering textual resources, a KDCS training course, 12 June 2008, London, United Kingdom
- ICEIS 2008 - 10th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, 12 - 16 June 2008, Barcelona, Spain
- Special Libraries Association (SLA) 2008, 15 - 18 June 2008, Seattle, Washington, USA
- 2008 ISPIM Conference - Open Innovation: Creating Products and Services through Collaboration, 15 - 18 June 2008, Tours, France
- Joint Conference on Digital Libraries 2008 (JCDL 2008), 15 - 20 June 2008, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- IDF Open Meeting: Resource Access for a Digital World and Handle System Workshop, 17 June 2008, Brussels, Belgium
- First International Workshop on Social Computing (SOCO 2008), 17 June 2008, Taipei, Taiwan
- Sixth International Conference on Content-Based Multimedia Indexing (CBMI'08), 18 - 20 June 2008, London, United Kingdom
- HT '08 : 19th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, 19 - 21 June 2008, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- Elpub 2008 - Open Scholarship: Authority, Community and Sustainability in the Age of Web 2.0, 25 - 27 June 2008, Toronto, Canada
- 6th International Workshop on Adaptive Multimedia Retrieval, 26 - 27 June 2008, Berlin, Germany
- 2008 American Library Association Annual Conference, 26 June - 2 July 2008, Anaheim, California, USA
- 2nd International Conference on Knowledge Generation, Communication and Management: KGCM 2008, 29 June - 2 July 2008,Orlando, Florida, USA
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University,
Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
BN - National Library of Portugal, Portugal (mirror site)
Guidelines for Authors
D-Lib Magazine is produced by
Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI). Prior to April 2006, the magazine was sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant
and by the
National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0243042.
Please send questions or comments to: [email protected]
2008 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib is registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial | First Commentary | First Article