Guest Commentary: E-Book Literacy
by Robert Bolick, McGraw-Hill
To the Editor: Letters
From Gutenberg to the Global Information Infrastructure: Access to Information in the Networked World
MIT Press, 2000
Reviewed by: Edward A. Galloway, University of Pittsburgh
"...The book synthesizes her earlier journal articles that were based on extensive empirical research..."
PhysDoc: A Distributed Network of Physics Institutions Collecting, Indexing, and Searching High Quality Documents by using
Thomas Severiens, Michael Hohlfeld, Kerstin Zimmermann, Eberhard R. Hilf, Carl von Ossietzky-University Oldenburg
The Dublin Core Metadata Initiative: Mission, Current Activities, and Future Directions
Stuart L. Weibel, OCLC Office of Research, and Traugott Koch, NETLAB
Information Services for Higher Education: A New Competitive Space
Carol Ann Hughes, Questia Media, Inc.
Intellectual Property Conservancies
David Bearman, Archives & Museum Informatics
Bust of Beatrice of Aragon
Francesco Laurana, Italian, c.1430-c.1502
Beatrice of Aragon, Probably 1470-1479
Marble, H. 16 in. x W. 15 7/8 in. x D. 7 7/8 in.
The Frick Collection, New York, NY, USA
Bequest of John D. Rockefeller, Jr., 1961 61.2.86
The AMICO Library: TFC_.19612086
© 1998 The Frick Collection, New York. Used with permission. The AMICO Library is D-Lib Magazine's featured collection this month.
Report on the Virtual Reference Desk Conference October 2000, Seattle, Washington
Roxanne Missingham, National Library of Australia
NKOS Group Reviews Draft DTD for Thesauri
Gail Hodge, Information International Associates, Inc.
Taxanomic Databases Working Group Meeting TDWG 2000 - Digitizing Biological
Walter G. Berendsohn, Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem
Nupedia.com: The Open Content Encyclopedia
Lawrence M. Sanger, Ph.D., Nupedia
NoVA - Non-Visual Access to the Digital Library
Jenny Craven, CERLIM, Manchester Metropolitan University
NASIG Seeks Applicants for Student Grants and for the Fritz Schwartz Serials Education Scholarship
Anne E. McKee, The North American Serials Interest Group, Inc.
E-Learning Takes Important Step Forward (Press Release)
Stuart Weibel and Eric Miller, Dublin Core Metadata Initiative
First Personalized Alert Service for Preprints
Walter Warnick, OSTI, U.S. Department of Energy
IDEALOnDemand Now Offers Pay-Per-View Access To All
Journal Articles Published on IDEAL® (Press Release)
Daria DeCooman, Academic Press
29 Leading Ecology Journals Now Available Online (News Release)
Carol MacAdam, JSTOR
Point to Point
Calls for Participation
- 27th International Association for Social Science
Information Services and Technology (IASSIST) Conference: IASSIST/IFDO 2001 14 - 19 May 2001 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Call for proposals. The deadline for submission is 22 January 2001.
- 10th Pacific Science Inter-Congress 1 - 6 June 2001, Tumon, Guam. Call for papers. The deadline for submission of abstracts is 1 February 2001.
- Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) National Leadership Grants for Libraries Call for participation. The deadline for grant application is 1 February 2001.
- Computing Arts:
Digital Resources for Research in the Humanities 2001 26 - 28 September 2001, Sydney, Australia. Call for papers. The deadline for submission is 16 February 2001.
- Hypertext 2001 - The 12th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia: Transforming Information, Entertainment, and Culture 14 - 18 August 2001, Arhus, Denmark. Call for participation. The submission deadline is 16 February 2001.
- VLDB 2001: 27th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases 11 - 14 September 2001, Roma, Italy. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 19 February 2001.
- KDD-2001: The 7th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining 26 - 29 August 2001, San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 26 February 2001.
- ECDL 2001: 5th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, 4 - 8 September 2001, Darmstadt, Germany. Call for papers. The deadline for submission for ALL proposals is 1 April 2001.
- CIMI-MCN 2001 - Real Life: Virtual Experiences, New Connections for Museum Visitors 24 - 27 October 2001, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 30 April 2001.
- Open Meeting of the Open Archives Initiative 23 January 2001, Washington, D.C., USA. There is no fee to attend this meeting, but space is limited and early registration is encouraged.
- Arts and Humanities Online one-day seminars held on various dates and locations. Please see description for details.
- American Association for History and Computing Annual Meeting 1 - 3 February 2001, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
- ASIS Summit 2001: Practicing Information Architecture 2 - 4 February 2001, San Francisco, California, USA.
- WSCG'2001: The 9th International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision 5 - 9 February 2001, Plzen, Czech Republic.
- The R&D Management 2001 Conference 7 - 9 February 2001, Wellington, New Zealand.
- EduTex Regional Conference 21 - 23 February 2001, San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- Public Library Association (PLA) Spring Symposium 1 - 3 March 2001, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- ACM1: Beyond Cyberspace, A Journey of Many Directions 10 - 14 March 2001, San Jose, California, USA.
- Computers in Libraries 2001 14 - 16 March 2001, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Museums and the Web 2001 14 - 17 March 2001, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- ACRLX - 10th National Conference: Crossing the Divide 15 - 18 March 2001, Denver, Colorado, USA.
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
The Corporation for National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN: The UK Office for Library and Information Networking, Bath, England
The Australian National University Sunsite, Canberra, Australia
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Universidad de Belgrano, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Masthead | Guidelines for Authors | Access Terms
D-Lib Magazine is produced by the Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI) and is sponsored by DARPA on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant No. N66001-98-8908.
Please send questions or comments to: email@example.com
Copyright© 2000 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
Top | Editorial