Designing for Success
Public Domain Art in an Age of Easier Mechanical Reproducibility
Kenneth Hamma, J. Paul Getty Trust
What is a Digital Library Anymore, Anyway? Beyond Search and Access in the NSDL
Carl Lagoze, Dean B. Krafft, and Sandy Payette, Cornell University; and Susan Jesuroga, UCAR-NSDL
Jazz band, c. 1945.
Charles "Teenie" Harris Collection.
Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; Gift of the Estate of Charles "Teenie" Harris.
Used with permission.
This month, D-Lib features
the Historic Pittsburgh Image Collections.
Requirements for Digital Preservation Systems: A Bottom-Up Approach
David S. H. Rosenthal, Thomas Robertson, Tom Lipkis, Vicky Reich, and Seth Morabito, Stanford University
Questions & Challenges Arising in Building the Collection of a Digital Library for Education: Lessons from Five Years of DLESE
Kim Kastens, Columbia University; Barbara DeFelice, Dartmouth College; Holly Devaul and Kathryn Ginger, University Corporation for Atmospheric Research; Christopher DiLeonardo, Foothill College; Suzanne Larsen, University of Colorado; David Mogk, Montana State University; and Sharon Tahirkheli, American Geological Institute
NSF / NSDL Workshop on Scientific Markup Languages
Laura M. Bartolo, Kent State University; Timothy W. Cole, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Sarah Giersch, Association of Research Libraries; and Michael Wright, UCAR - DLESE Program Center
Report on the 9th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries: September 18 - 23, 2005, Vienna, Austria
Dagobert Soergel, University of Maryland
HDL 2005 - the 3rd Healthcare Digital Libraries Workshop: Held in Conjunction with ECDL 2005
Vienna, Austria, 22 September 2005
Patty Kostkova, City University, London; and Anne Adams, University College London
Report on the 4th European Networked Knowledge Organization Systems/Services (NKOS) Workshop: Mapping Knowledge Organization Systems
Doug Tudhope, University of Glamorgan
Report on the 5th International Web Archiving Workshop (IWAW)
Andreas Aschenbrenner, SAT Research Studio; Olaf Brandt
SUB Göttingen; and Stephan Strodl, Vienna University of Technology
Historic Pittsburgh Image Collections
Ed Galloway,, University of Pittsburgh
RCDL 2005: Seventh Russian Conference on Digital Libraries, Yaroslavl, Russia, October 4 - 6, 2005
Leonid Kalinichenko, Russian Academy of Science
colLib.info: OAI-PMH meets Wiki
Magnus Enger, (Masters Student) University of Tromsø
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
Point to Point
- International Conference on Information Communication Technologies in Education (ICICTE) 2006, 6 - 8 July 2006, Rhodes, Greece. Call for papers. The submission date is 15 January 2006.
- AVI 2006 - Advanced Visual Interfaces
, 23 - 26 May 2006, Venice, Italy. Call for papers. The submission deadline for short papers is 15 January 2006.
- 10th European Conference of Medical and Health Libraries, 11 - 16 September 2006, Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 15 January 2006.
- Libraries in the Digital Age (LIDA) 2006, 29 May - 4 June 2006, Dubrovnik and Mljet, Croatia. Call for participation. The submission date for workshop and paper proposals is 16 January 2006.
- New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia on Knowledge Organization Systems and Services. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 16 January 2006.
- JCDL 2006: Opening Information Horizons, 11 - 15 June, Chapel HIll, North Carolina, USA. Call for papers. The submission date is 20 January 2006.
- EDUCAUSE 2006, 9 - 12 October 2006, Dallas, Texas. Call for papers. The submission date is 21 January 2006.
- 10th ECDL (European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, 17 - 22 September 2006, Alicante, Spain. Call for workshop proposals. The submission date is 27 January 2006.
- American Library Association Annual Conference 2006 Poster Sessions, 24 - 26 June 2006, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. Call for posters. The submission date is 31 January 2006.
- EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2006, 10 - 12 January 2006, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- ALISE 2006 Annual Conference - From Research to Practice: The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in LIS Education, 16 - 19 January 2006, San Antonio, Texas, USA
- The IASTED International Conference on
Advances in Computer Science and Technology - ACST 2006, 23 - 25 January 2006, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- The Fifth IASTED International Conference on Web-based Education- WBE 2006, 23 - 25 January 2006, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- IUI '06: Tenth International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces 2006, 29 January - 1 February 2006, Sydney, Australia
- The 14th International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision'2006, 30 January - 3 February 2006, Plzen, Czech Republic
- Open Repositories 2006, 31 January - 3 February 2006, Sydney, Australia
(The title of the Lagoze et al. commentary was corrected 11/16/05.)
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University,
Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
BN - National Library of Portugal, Portugal (mirror site)
Guidelines for Authors
D-Lib Magazine is produced by the
Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI), has been sponsored by the
Defense Advanced Research Project
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant
and is currently being funded by the
National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0243042.
Please send questions or comments to: email@example.com
2005 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib is registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial