A New Website Devoted to Envisioning the Future of Libraries
by Bonita Wilson
PREMIS With a Fresh Coat of Paint: Highlights from the Revision of the PREMIS Data Dictionary for Preservation Metadata
Brian F. Lavoie, OCLC Online Computer Library Center
A Year of Selective Web Archiving with the Web Curator Tool
at the National Library of New Zealand
Gordon Paynter, Susanna Joe, Vanita Lala, and Gillian Lee, National Library of New Zealand
Considering the User Perspective: Research into Usage and Communication of Digital Information
Kellie Snow, Perla Innocenti, and Seamus Ross, Humanities Advanced Technology and Information Institute (HATII); Birte Christensen-Dalsgaard, Jens Hofman Hansen, Michael Poltorak Nielsen, Jørn Thøgersen, Statsbiblioteket; and Bart Ballaux and Hans Hofman, Nationaal Archief
Adding Value to the Library Catalog by Implementing a Recommendation System
Michael Mönnich and Marcus Spiering, Karlsruhe University Library
Strands of a Global Web of Knowledge Come Together at the Third International Open Repositories Conference 2008
Carol Minton Morris, Cornell University
University of Maryland Libraries Digital Collections
Susan Schreibman, University of Maryland College Park
Winners of The EMC Heritage Trust Project Grants Announced
Gil Press, EMC Corporation
VIF Project Completes Framework for Identification of Versions in Digital Repositories
Dave Puplett, London School of Economics and Political Science
NISO Forum Sparked Debate on Discovery Tools
Karen A. Wetzel, National Information Standards Organization (NISO)
AGREGA - Spanish Education Community Federation of Repositories of Learning Objects
Manuel Canabal, Juan Carlos Sacristán, Antonio Sarasa, red.es - Entidad Publica Empresarial
NISO Digital Resources Forum Posed Tough Questions To Community
Karen A. Wetzel, National Information Standards Organization (NISO)
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
An illustration from a 1947 Japanese children's book. Fushigina kodomotachi / Takeshi Mota. Published by Kyoyosha in 1947.
Courtesy of the Gordon W. Prange Collection, University of Maryland Libraries. Used with permission.
This month D-Lib's featured collection is the University of Maryland Libraries Digital Collections.
Point to Point
- Second International Conference on Web Reasoning and Rule Systems (RR), 31 October 2008 - 2 November 2008, 31 October - 2 November 2008, Karlsruhe, Germany. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 14 June 2008.
- International Conference on Soft Computing as Transdisciplinary Science and Technology, 27 - 31 October 2008, Paris, France. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 June 2008.
- The 7th European Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS) Workshop, 19 September 2008, Aarhus, Denmark. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 20 June 2008.
- National Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Education Digital Library (NSDL), Program Solicitation NSF 08-554. Call for proposals. The full proposal must be received by 27 June 2008. (Optional Letters of Intent are due 27 May 2008.)
- ICADL 2008 - International Conference on Asia-Pacific Digital Libraries, 2 - 5 December 2008, Bali, Indonesia. Call for papers. The submission deadline has been extended to 29 June 2008..
- The 1st ISPIM Symposium - Managing Innovation in a Connected World, 15 - 17 December 2008, Singapore. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 30 June 2008.
- 2nd Workshop on Foundations of Digital Libraries, 18 September 2008, Aarhus, Denmark. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 July 2008.
- IX Congress of the Spanish Chapter of ISKO: New Perspectives for the organisation and dissemination of knowledge, 11 - 13 March 2009, Valencia, Spain. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 July 2008.
- Third IEEE International Conference on Digital Information Management (ICDIM 2008), 13 - 16 November 2008, London, United Kingdom. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 July 2008.
- First Workshop on Very Large Digital Libraries, 19 September 2008, Aarhus, Denmark. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 July 2008.
- 4th International Digital Curation Conference "Radical Sharing: Transforming Science?", 1 - 3 December 2008, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 25 July 2008.
- 7th International Semantic Web Conference, 26 - 30 October 2008, Karlsruhe, Germany. Call for posters and demonstrations. The submission deadline for those is 25 July 2008.
- The Third International Conference on Legal, Security and Privacy Issues in IT (LSPI)., 3 - 5 September 2008, Prague, Czech Republic. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 August 2008.
- UNAK'08: Information: Diversity and Awareness, 9 - 11 October, Izmir, Turkey. Call for papers. The submission deadline for title and summary is 1 August 2008.
- IDF Open Meeting: Resource Access for a Digital World, 17 June 2008, Brussels, Belgium
- Handle System Workshop, 17 June 2008, Brussels, Belgium
- First International Workshop on Social Computing (SOCO 2008), 17 June 2008, Taipei, Taiwan
- Sixth International Conference on Content-Based Multimedia Indexing (CBMI'08), 18 - 20 June 2008, London, United Kingdom
- HT '08 : 19th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, 19 - 21 June 2008, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- The Society for Imaging Science and Technology Conference: Archiving 2008, 24 - 27 June 2008, Bern, Switzerland
- Elpub 2008 - Open Scholarship: Authority, Community and Sustainability in the Age of Web 2.0, 25 - 27 June 2008, Toronto, Canada
- 6th International Workshop on Adaptive Multimedia Retrieval, 26 - 27 June 2008, Berlin, Germany
- 2008 American Library Association Annual Conference, 26 June - 2 July 2008, Anaheim, California, USA
- 2nd International Conference on Knowledge Generation, Communication and Management: KGCM 2008, 29 June - 2 July 2008,Orlando, Florida, USA
- MULTICONF-08, 7 - 11 July 2008, Orlando, Florida, USA
- WORLDCOMP'08 The 2008 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing, 14 - 17 July 2008, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- EuroScience Open Forum (ESOF) 2008: , 18 - 22 July 2008, Barcelona, Spain
- 31st Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference, 20 - 24 July 2008, Singapore
- International Council on Archives (ICA) 2008 Congress, 21 - 27 July 2008, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- IADIS International Conference Informatics 2008, 22 - 27 July 2008, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 5th International Conference on
Adaptive Hypermedia and Adaptive Web-Based Systems, 28 July - 1 August 2008, Hannover, Germany
- International Workshop on Social and Personal Computing for Web-Supported Learning Communities (SPeL 2008), 28 July - 1 August 2008, Turku, Finland
- The 2008 International Symposium on Applications and the Internet (SAINT), 28 July - 1 August 2008, Turku, Finland
- Visual Information Engineering 2008, 29 July - 1 August 2008, Xi'an, China
- Library Assessment Conference
Building Effective, Sustainable, Practical Assessment, 4 - 6 August 2008, Seattle, Washington, USA
- First International Conference on the Application of Digital Information and Web Technologies (ICADIWT 2008), 4 - 6 August 2008, Ostrava, Czech Republic
- 24th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching & Learning, 5 - 8 August 2008, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
- 10th International Conference of the
International Society for Knowledge Organization, 5 - 8 August 2008, Montr&#eacute;al, Canada
- World Library and Information Congress: 74th IFLA General Conference and Council , 10 - 14 August 2008, Québec, Canada
- International Symposium on Versioning XML Documents and Vocabularies, 11 August 2008, Montréal, Canada
- Balisage: The Markup Conference, 12 - 15 August 2008, Montréal, Canada
- 5th International Workshop on
Constraints and Language Processing (CSLP2008), 4 - 15 August 2008, Hamburg, Germany
- KDD '08: The 14th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 24 - 27 August 2008, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- 17th International Conference on
Information Systems Development (ISD2008) 25 - 27 August 2008, Paphos, Cyprus
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University,
Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
BN - National Library of Portugal, Portugal (mirror site)
Guidelines for Authors
D-Lib Magazine is produced by
Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI). Prior to April 2006, the magazine was sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant
and by the
National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0243042.
Please send questions or comments to: email@example.com
2008 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib is registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial | First Article