Challenges and Opportunities
by Bonita Wilson
From Stevan Harnad, American Scientist Open Access Forum
A Policy Checklist for Enabling Persistence of Identifiers
Nick Nicholas, Nigel Ward, and Kerry Blinco, Link Affiliates
A Set of Transfer-Related Services
Justin Littman, Library of Congress
Sharing Functionality on the Web: A Proposed Services Infrastructure for The European Library
Theo van Veen and Michel Koppelaar, Koninklijke Bibliotheek; Georg Petz, Austrian National Library; and Christian Sadilek, Austrian Research Centers
Search Web Services -
The OASIS SWS Technical Committee Work: The Abstract Protocol Definition, OpenSearch Binding, and SRU/CQL 2.0
Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress
Institutional Repository on a Shoestring
George Wrenn, Carolyn J. Mueller, and Jeremy Shellhase, Humboldt State University
Classroom Information Needs: Search Analysis from a Digital Library for Educators
Marcia A. Mardis, Florida State University
A Workshop Series for Grid/Repository Integration
Andreas Aschenbrenner, State and University Library, Goettingen; Tobias Blanke and Mark Hedges, King's College London; Neil P Chue Hong, OMII UK, and Nicholas Ferguson, OGF Europe
Baltimore SPARC IR and SUN PASIG Meetings: Towering Content and Evolving Online Scholarly Publishing Models
Carol Minton Morris, Cornell University
Beyond Penguins and Polar Bears
Jessica Fries-Gaither, The Ohio State University
Airbrushing History, American Style: The Mutability of Government Documents in the Digital Era
Kalev Leetaru and Scott Althaus, University of Illinois
DL.org - Digital Library Interoperability, Best Practices and Modelling Foundations: A Common Journey to New Frontiers
Donatella Castelli, Italian National Research Council; and Stephanie Parker, Trust-IT Services Ltd.
IMPACT: Improving Access to Text
Lieke Ploeger, Koninklijke Bibliotheek - National Library of the Netherlands
The UCL Data Audit Framework (DAF) Pilot Implementation Project
Panayiota Polydoratou, University College London
Permanent Access to Raw Scientific Data: PARSE.Insight
Beate Sturm, Goettingen State and University Library / Max Planck Digital Library
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
Gentoo penguins and the Research Vessel LAURENCE M. GOULD
near Petermann Island. Christine Hush, National Science Foundation. Used with permission
This month D-Lib's featured collection is Beyond Penguins and Polar Bears.
Point to Point
- The 9th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, 11 - 14 October 2009, Xiamen, China. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 February 2009.
- ETD 2009, The 12th International Symposium on Electronic Theses and Dissertations, 10 - 13 June 2009, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 16 February 2009.
- WORLDCOMP'09: The 2009 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing, 13 - 16 July 2009, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 25 February 2009.
- 13th European Conference on Digital Libraries, 27 September - 2 October 2009, Corfu, Greece. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 21 March 2009.
- The 1st IEEE International Conference on Scalable Computing and Communications, 23 - 25 August 2009, Dalian, China. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 31 March 2009.
- The International ACM Conference on Management of Emergent Digital EcoSystems (MEDES'09), 27 - 30 October 2009, Lyon, France. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 April 2009.
- Sixteenth International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning, 23 - 25 July 2009, Brixen, Italy. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 6 April 2009.
- 2009 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Joint Conferences on Web Intelligence (WI'09) and Intelligent Agent Technology (IAT'09), 15 - 18 September 2009, Milan, Italy. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 10 April 2009.
- XI All-Russian Scientific Conference RCDL 2009, 17 - 21 September 2009, Petrozavodsk, Russia. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 April 2009.
- he 12th IEEE International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering 29 - 31 August 2009, Vancouver, Canada. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 April 2009.
- 2009 NFAIS Annual Conference, Barbarians at the Gate? The Impact of
Digital Natives and Emerging Technologies on the Future of Information
Services, 22 - 24 February 2009, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- Digital Preservation Training Programme, 23 - 25 February 2009, London, United Kingdom
- CALIBER 2009: Convention on Automation of Libraries in Education and Research
Institutions), 25 - 27 February 2009, Pondichery, India
- International Conference e-Society 2009, 25 - 28 February 2009, Barcelona, Spain
- WebWise 2009, 26 - 27 February 2009, Washington, DC, USA
- ICKMIC 2009 - International Conference on Knowledge Management and Intellectual Capital, 26 - 27 February 2009, IMT Ghaziabad, India
- Asia-Pacific Conference on Library & Information Education and Practice, 6 - 8 March 2009, Tsukuba, Japan
- 24th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, 8 - 12 March 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
- 14th ACRL National Conference, 12 - 15 March 2009, Seattle, Washington, USA
- ASIDIC (Association of Information and Dissemination Centers) Spring 2009 meeting, 22 - 24 March 2009, Tampa, Florida, USA
- AAAI-SSS-09: Social Semantic Web: Where Web 2.0 Meets Web 3.0, 23 - 25 March 2009, Stanford, California, USA
- The 3rd International Conference on Adaptive Business Information Systems (ABIS 2009), 23 - 25 March 2009, Leipzig, Germany
- 5th International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies (WEBIST), 23 - 26 March 2009, Lisboa, Portugal
- International Conference on Computer Supported
Education(CSEDU), 23 - 26 March 2009, Lisboa, Portugal
- Stewardship of Digital Assets Workshop, 24 - 25 March 2009, New York, New York, USA
- EG workshop on 3D Object Retrieval, 29 March 2009, Munich, Germany
- Computers in Libraries, 30 March - 1 April 2009, Arlington, Virginia, USA
- DigCCurr 2009:
Digital Curation Practice, Promise and Prospects, 1 - 3 April 2009, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
- American Society of Engineering Education Northeast Conference 2009, 3 - 4 April 2009, Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
- CHI 2009: Digital Life, New World, 5 - 9 April 2009, Boston Massachusetts, USA
- European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2009), 6 - 9 April 2009, Toulouse, France
- Learning on Screen Conference 2009, 7 - 8 April 2009, London, United Kingdom
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University,
Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
BN - National Library of Portugal, Portugal (mirror site)
Guidelines for Authors
D-Lib Magazine is produced by
Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI). Prior to April 2006, the magazine was sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant
and by the
National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0243042.
Please send questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2009 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib is registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial | First Article