D-Lib Is Being Brought to You by...
Interoperability for Searching Learning Object Repositories: The ProLearn Query Language
Stefaan Ternier and Erik Duval, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (K.U.Leuven) / ARIADNE Foundation, Belgium; David Massart, European Schoolnet (EUN); and Alessandro Campi, Sam Guinea, and Stefano Ceri, Politecnico di Milano (POLIMI), Italy
Creating Preservation-Ready Web Resources
Joan A. Smith and Michael L. Nelson, Old Dominion University
Carrots and Sticks: Some Ideas on How to Create a Successful Institutional Repository
Miguel Ferreira, Eloy Rodrigues, Ana Alice Baptista, and Ricardo Saraiva, University of Minho, Portugal
Poster "Be a Victory Farm Volunteer in the U.S. Crop Corps." USGPO,1943. Courtesy of the University of Illinois Library.
Used with permission.
This month D-Lib's featured collection is the Library of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Necessary but Not Sufficient: Modelling Online Archive Development in the UK
Ian G. Anderson, HATII, University of Glasgow
The Current State-of-art in Newspaper Digitization: A Market Perspective
Edwin Klijn, Koninklijke Bibliotheek
Next Steps for E-Science, the Textual Humanities and VREs: A Report on Text and Grid: Research Questions for the Humanities, Sciences and Industry, UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2007
Stuart Dunn and Tobias Blanke, King's College London
Library of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Betsy Kruger, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Getting the Most out of Your Institutional Repository: A Report on the NISO Forum Held in December 2007
Jay Datema, National Information Standards Organization (NISO)
Science Assets of the Digital Age at Risk
Ingrid Dillo, Koninklijke Bibliotheek
Linus Pauling and the International Peace Movement: A Documentary History
Chris Petersen, Oregon State University
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
Point to Point
- IMLS Invites Proposals for a Cooperative Agreement to Help Museums and Libraries Plan, Evaluate, and Share Outstanding Programs. The submission deadline is 3 March 2008.
- 7th International Conference on
Mathematical Knowledge Management
MKM 2008, 28 - 30 July 2008, Birmingham, United Kingdom. Call for papers. The submission deadline for titles and abstracts is 7 March 2008.
- European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries - ECDL 2008, 14 - 19 September 2008, Aarhus Denmark. Call for participation. The submission deadline for papers, tutorials, posters & demos, and the doctoral consortium is 14 March 2008.
- ISMIR 2008, 14 - 18 September 2008, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline for papers, tutorials and panels is 26 March 2008.
- Information Online 2009, 20 - 22 January 2009, Sydney, Australia. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 28 March 2008.
- Hypertext 2008, 19 - 21 June 2008, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. Call for posters. The submission deadline for posters 28 March 2008 (See Deadline Reminders for the paper submission deadline.).
- International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications (DC 2008), 22 - 26 September 2008, Berlin, Germany. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 30 March 2008.
- Tenth Anniversary of All-Russian Scientific Conference RCDL'2008
'Digital Libraries: Advanced Methods and Technologies, Digital Collections', 12 - 16 October 2008, Dubna, Russia. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 15 April 2008.
- FOIS 2008, the 5th International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information Systems, 31 October 2008 - 3 November 2008, Saarbrücken, Germany. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 22 April 2008.
- 2008 NFAIS Annual Conference and 50th Anniversary Gala 24 - 26 February 2008, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- Building a Community that Values Academic Integrity, 25 February - 7 March 2008, online workshop
- Interdisciplinary Ontology Conference (InterOntology08 Tokyo), 26 - 27 February 2008, Tokyo, Japan
- IEEE DEST 2008: IEEE Conference on Digital Ecosystems and Technologies, 26 - 29 February 2008, Phitsanulok Thailand
- Ohio Digital Commons for Education (ODCE) 2008 Conference: The Convergence of Learning, Libraries and Technology, 2 - 4 March 2008, Columbus, Ohio, USA
- Colour management, a KDCS training course, 6 March 2008, London, United Kingdom
- 2008 WebWise Conference on Libraries and Museums in the Digital World, 6 - 7 March 2008, Miami Beach, Florida, USA
- NERCOMP 2008 Annual Conference:
Education and Technology in Service of the Networked Society, 10 - 12 March 2008, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
- 39th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, 12 -16 March 2008, Portland, Oregon, USA
- NISO Digital Preservation Forum, 14 March 2008, Washington, DC, USA
- 23rd Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, 16 - 20 March 2008, Ceará, Brazil
- IASTED International Conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications
(EuroIMSA 2008), 17 - 19 March 2008, Innsbruck, Austria
- Seventh IASTED International Conference on Web-based Education (WBE 2008), 17 - 19 March 2008, Innsbruck, Austria
- ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS'08), 18 - 20 March 2008, Tokyo, Japan
- Electronic Resources & Libraries 2008 (ER&L 2008), 18 - 21 March 2008, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- ICIKM 08 (International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management), 24 - 29 March 2008, Kathmandu, Nepal
- 12the Annual Public Library Association Conference, 25 - 29 March 2008, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- Internet of Things 2008:
International Conference for Industry and Academia , 26 - 28 March 2008, Zurich, Switzerland
- Open Repositories 2008, 1 - 4 April 2008, Southampton, United Kingdom
- Personal Information Management: PIM 2008, CHI 2008 Workshop, 5 - 6 April 2008, Florence, Italy
- CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2008), 5 - 10 April 2008, Florence, Italy
- What to preserve?
Significant Properties of Digital Objects, 7 April 2008, London, United Kingdom
- Computers in Libraries, 7 - 9 April 2008, Arlington, Virginia, USA
- Digital Futures: from digitization to delivery, 7 - 11 April 2008, London, United Kingdom
- Museums and the Web 2008, 9 - 12 April 2008, Montréal, Québec, Canada
- IADIS e-Society 2008 conference, 9 - 12 April 2008, Algarve, Portugal
- IADIS International Conference Mobile Learning 2008, 11 - 13 April 2008, Algarve, Portugal
- Buying and Selling e-Content, 13 - 15 April 2008, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
- DIR (Dutch-Belgian Information Retrieval) 2008 Workshop, 14 - 15 April 2008, Maastricht, The Netherlands
- International Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility, 21 - 22 April 2008, Beijing, China
- Fourth Nordic Conference on Scholarly Communication NCSC 2008, 21 - 23 April 2008, Lund, Sweden
- 29th annual IATUL Conference (digital discovery:
strategies & solutions), 21 - 24 April 2008, Auckland, New Zealand
- 17th International World Wide Web Conference, 21 - 25 April 2008, Beijing, China
- Fundraising, a KDCS training course, 29 April 2008, London, United Kingdom
- Sustaining digital projects: Funding the future, a KDCS training course, 30 April 2008, London, United Kingdom
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University,
Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
BN - National Library of Portugal, Portugal (mirror site)
Guidelines for Authors
D-Lib Magazine is produced by
Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI). Prior to April 2006, the magazine was sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant
and by the
National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0243042.
Please send questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2008 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib is registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial | First Article