by Bonita Wilson
To the Editor: Letters
From Richard Hill, ASIST
Beyond the Scriptorium: The Role of the Library in Text Encoding
Suzana Sukovic, University of Sydney, Australia
Photograph: Rhey Cedron, Sculpture Detail, Washington National Cathedral.
Copyright 2002 Earthlore. Used with permission. Earthlore Explorations is D-Lib Magazine's featured collection this month.
A Spectrum of Interoperability: The Site for Science Prototype for the NSDL
William Y. Arms, Diane Hillmann, Carl Lagoze, Dean Krafft, Richard Marisa, John Saylor, and Carol Terrizzi, Cornell University; and Herbert Van de Sompel, The British Library
Re-inventing the Wheel? Standards, Interoperability and Digital Cultural Content
Tony Gill, Research Libraries Group, and Paul Miller, UKOLN
Preservation Risk Management for Web Resources: Virtual Remote Control in Cornell's Project Prism
Anne R. Kenney, Nancy Y. McGovern, Peter Botticelli, Richard Entlich, Carl Lagoze, and Sandra Payette, Cornell University
Safekeeping: A Cooperative Approach to Building a Digital Preservation Resource
Hilary Berthon, Susan Thomas, and Colin Webb, National Library of Australia
Object Persistence and Availability in Digital Libraries
Michael L. Nelson and B. Danette Allen, NASA Langley Research Center
Illinois Digital Cultural Heritage Community - Collaborative Interactions among Libraries, Museums and Elementary Schools
Nuala A. Bennett, Beth Sandore, and Evangeline S. Pianfetti, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The 4th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries: Digital Libraries: Dynamic Landscapes for Knowledge Creation, Access and Management
December 10 - 12, 2001, Bangalore, India
Suzie Allard, University of Kentucky, and Edward A. Fox, Virginia Tech
Mark Nelson, Earthlore
THADL - A Successful Digital Library Pilot Project
Jinfang Niu, Tsinghua University
Cuneiform for Everyman
Robert K. Englund, University of California, Los Angeles
TONIC - The Online Netskills Interactive Course
Juliet Schroeder, Netskills, The University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Collection Management Initiative
Cecily Johns, University of California
In the News: Recent Press Releases and Announcements
Point to Point
Calls for Participation
- Focus on Access to Institutional Resources (FAIR) Programme, JISC Call for Proposals Pre-announcement. Expected closing date, late February 2002.
- Digital Resources for the Humanities (DRH), 8-11 September 2002, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom. Call for papers. The deadline for submission is 1 March 2002.
- Sixth East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems, 8 - 11 September 2002, Bratislava, Slovakia. Call for Submissions. The submission deadline for abstracts is 25 February 2002. Papers are due 4 March 2002.
- Digital Library -- IT Opportunities and Challenges in the New Millennium, An International Conference, 9 - 11 July 2002, Beijing, China. Call for Papers. Papers must be received by 31 March 2002.
- ISMIR 2002 - 3rd International Conference on Music Information Retrieval, 13 - 17 October 2002, Paris, France. Call for participation. The submission deadline for proposals is 19 April 2002.
- The First Eurasian Conference on Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 29 - 31 October 2002, Tehran, Iran. Call for Submissions. The submission deadline for abstracts is receipt by 22 April 2002, with papers due before 1 May 2002."
- OCLC Institute to present "Steering by Standards" videoconference series, 26 March, 19 April, and 29 May, 2002.
- 3rd International Conference on Information Technology: Coding and Computing, 1 - 3 April 2002, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- New Developments in Digital Libraries, the Second International Workshop, 2 - 3 April 2002, Ciudad Real, Spain.
- 3rd European Conference on Organizational Knowledge, Learning, and Capabilities (OKLC 2002), 5 - 6 April 2002, Athens, Greece.
- Thesaurus Design for Semantic Information Management, 6 April 2002, Manhattan, New York, USA.
- IVETA - TEND 2002: Bridging the Divide - Strategies for Change, 7 - 9 April 2002, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- NetLab Conference, 10 - 12 April 2002, Lund, Sweden.
- Content Management for Information Professionals, A Joint LITC/LAMIT Conference, 11 April 2002, London, United Kingdom.
- Museums and the Web 2002, Archives & Museum Informatics, 17 - 20 April 2002, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- INFO'2002 - Information, Knowledge and Society: Challenges of New Era, 22 - 26 April 2002, Havana, Cuba.
- NLII 2002 - Innovative Practice, Policy, and Partnerships: A New Alignment
- 25th ACM SIGIR 2002: Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval
- BOBCATSSS 2002 - Human Beings and Information Specialists
- SAINT-2002: Sharing an Internet Vision
- OCLC Systems & Services, an Online Computer Library Center journal
- Trans-European Telecommunication Networks for Access to Europe's Cultural Heritage
- ALA 2002 Annual Meeting Poster Sessions
- Super Conference 2002, Ontario Library Association
- National Leadership Grants for Libraries, Institute of Museum and Library Services
- ASIST 2002 Annual Meeting: Knowledge, Connections and Community
- High Quality Information For Everyone and What It Costs, 6th European Bielefeld Colloqium
- VALA2002: e-volving Information Futures
- 28th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB 2002)
- The Fifth International Conference on Virtual Communities
- Seminar on Digital Preservation of the Record of Science - state of the art, International Council for Scientific and Technical Information
- IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME 2002)
- National Award for Library Service
- ELPUB2002: Technology Interactions, ICCC/EFIP 6th International Conference on Electronic Publishing
- International Conference on Multimedia & Expo
- EduTex Regional Conference: IT-Through HE** or High Water
- Eighth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- LITA Regional Institute: "Proxy Web Servers and Authentication"
- 2001 National Federation of Abstracting and Information Services (NFAIS) Annual Conference, Integrating @ Internet Speed: Strategies for the Content Community
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
Corporation for National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A. (originating site)
UKOLN: The UK Office for Library and Information Networking, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University Sunsite, Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Universidad de Belgrano, Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
Masthead | Guidelines for Authors | Access Terms
D-Lib Magazine is produced by the Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI), has been sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant No. N66001-98-1-8908,
and is currently being funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0122832.
Please send questions or comments to: email@example.com
Copyright© 2002 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib has been registered to CNRI in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial